Family Trip

Friday 26 April 2013

Last week, we heard our Grandma’s sickness so last Saturday we went to our Grandma’s home in Gelugur Kuta (Gelugur Village), it need almost 2 hours trip because of the traffic jam. We were not straight to there because we should pick my sister in her school first.

Because I had asked my Mom several times to cook Mi Rebus (Boiled Noodle) for me so it was the right time for us to make it so we could eat it together with our big family in our Grandma’s home ^_^. The reason why my Mom was too lazy to make it because the dish was not as simple as its name.

There were so many procedures to do. We just need not more than 20 Minutes to finish a full bowl of Mi Rebus but need almost 2 hours to prepare it -.-"


The main ingredient of course the noodle. For the noodle, we used the whitish stick dried noodle, it would be boiled.


For the stew, it need water of course, blended the onions, garlics, galangals, white pepper, candlenuts and gingers. Then blended the dried shrimps and the fresh ones in a separated way. It was not over yet.


It still need the lemongrass, dried bay leaves (I asked my Mom what the difference with the still-green bay leaves, she said there was only one difference; the aroma), tomatoes, scallions, cinnamons, star anises, cardamoms, and cloves. The whole ingredients would meet in one pan LOL. Used the starch to make the stew stick. And then we need the salt of course and also palm sugar. Could you mention me what Indonesian food which need not so many seasons in one dish, please? :P


For the cordiments, fried the tofu, traditional crackers, onions one by one, boiled the potatoes and cayenne peppers (put them in a plastic, fill with a little bit of water, tie it tightly; it could be boiled together with the potatoes) and eggs, which once again one by one. Blended the cayenne peppers to make cayenne peppers paste.


Seriously, I will not be able to answer if you ask me to tell how to cook the whole ingredientsヽ(´ー`)ノ 

But if you ask me the taste, it’s GREAT!! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ That’s why we often buy it from the Mi Rebus seller who sell it in a pushing cart near by our home. Although what we buy was not as delicious as we cook by ourselves for sure, but It was cheap and tasty than cook in our own kitchen. Anyways, one portion could make me, my sister and my Mom get full tummy (。◕ ‿ ◕。)

Done with our preparation for Mi Rebus, packed our clothes because we decided to stay there for one night, closed the windows, unconnected the gas stove canister, locked the doors, we went to my Mom’s village. We arrived there in the night and then had dinner with simple rice and its friends; boiled egg and yams leaves, fried chicken and delicious hot tomato chili sauce. I purposefully ate in small portion because I wanted to fill my tummy with the delicious noodle (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

My Grandma then told my Mom that our Grandpa (our Grandma’s youngest brother/ my Mom’s uncle) had phoned her several times to tell my Mom to come to his home. He could not call my Dad’s number because he has lost it so he delivered his message to my Grandma to be continued to my Mom then. So in the next morning, we prepared the meals to take to Sebiru-biru, our Grandpa’s home. We hoped we could fill our desire to eat lots of durian there because it was the season for durian, duku and rambutan. Because we will straight to go home from Sebiru-biru, so we had kept sackful of rambutan from my Grandma’s field to be taken home.



Then we drive our car to my cousin’s home first and continued it to my Mom’s eldest sister to go there together. We just need two cars to go there. Arriving to our Grandpa’s home, without shaking him first, we saw almost full of ripen rambutan tree and then straight to the ready to be harvested duku tree (or maybe had been harvested) because we were welcomed by a big basket of buah duku right in front of his home. Before we walked to the backyard and searched if we could get mangosteen, I realized if I need to shake and greet my Grandpa first, for politeness LOL.



Unfortunately the mangosteen was not harvested yet or had done the harvesting we don’t know so we should pick it one by one by using a staff. Even my cousin climbed the tree but still used the staff to pick the fruits. Time for lunch we entered the house to had the meals we took from my Grandma’s home, ariidae curry, taucho of tofu and tempe (soybean cake), boiled yams leaves and chayotes, belacan condiment, and cucumbers for the salad.


My nephews were happy collected the fallen mangosteens. But one of them suddenly cried because he was not satisfied if only pick the fallen mangoosteen but also desired to climb the tree like his Daddy /_\


While harvesting the mangoosteens, I found that my Grandpa family still used the traditional stove to cook which need the firewoods to make the fire. Smokey but there are many restaurants that used this cook method to keep the better taste. Believe me! D:


Finished with our lunch, we washed the plates first and then continued to pick the duku as many as possible lol. Even the big basket full of duku in front of our Grandpa’s home was ended in our sacks lol. It was late afternoon, we shook Grandpa's hand as a farewell, also to our Grandma, and their children before we went home with happy face although what we hoped to find; durian, was not existed. But my family had a chance to enjoy the steamead glutimous rice eaten together with durian jam. I didn’t join them because I didn’t like sweet food as they did. 


I found something entertained me (evil smile) my Sister’s sandal was biten by Mopi, our Grandpa’s dog. Nothing special with the sandal. She just pride it because she bought it in Bandung. Far and need pricey cost to reach there  :P:P:P


Anyways, we had no anything to eat at our home so I asked (read: forced) my Mom to stop over Iga-Iga Bakso (beef ribs meatball) to have our dinner. 


Notes:

In Karonese culture, we call 'Tigan' for Grandma and 'Bolang' for Grandpa.
Our Grandma had been healthier because of the trip..

Comments